Monday, October 30, 2006

The world is flat!

My daughter loves Boowa and Kwala on a site called UpToTen Kids. She loves the songs in French, much to the delight of my wife.

Being a geek, after hours of watching Boowa and Kwala sing and dance, I decided to find out more about the company. On the main webpage, I found that UpToTen is located in Port Louis, Mauritius. I think I'm fairly well-educated in geography (last count I have been to 70+ countries in my travels) and I honestly had no idea to the location of Mauritius. A quick web search later, I found the island located in the Indian Ocean.

A few moments later I found that the website for the company appears to be hosted at Rackspace, so those songs my daughter watches are not traversing three-quarters around the globe to reach our home, but I'm pretty sure that folks in Port Louis are uploading content from there. Even if they are not, some communication between the Indian Ocean and the Bay Area exists so my daughter can enjoy Boowa and Kwala songs in French.

I'm fairly sure that the Vyatta OFR is not in that transmission path yet, but sometimes I truly marvel at how the Internet and networking technologies have flattened out our world. Since Vyatta is helping to expand the Internet with open-source options, we're working to grow the market and to spread data packets with songs in them across the globe :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home